The community has a new login process
The community single sign-on system has been changed. Learn more about it HERE
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.. OnaBrink Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Can someone explain how to set up multiple SM 9.6x application servers to use an HWLB

I have recently upgraded our SM 9.50 system and the application server was originally configured for software vertical load blancing. I want to configure 2 application servers at 2 different locations using a spanned vlan and VIP on an HWLB (citrix netscaler) with 300 concurrent connections each. SM 9.6x documentation supports this for an F5, but it is not clearly explained. The documentation even has 2 great diagrams, but no detail. The documentation also states that if using an HWLB, you cannot use software load balancing. How could I get 300 concurrent connections if the max for a single servlet is 100.  This means I would need multiple vm servers instead of using servlets. I still wonder where and how the license file is referenced. If the license file is sitting on one server and only referenced on one server, that server is a single point of failure. This means Service Manager cannot ever be configured for high availability. If that one host goes down, no other connections can be made, which also means users connected to that host are dropped and can't be regained. Has anyone done this and if so, how? Samples of an SM.ini and SM.cfg file would be helpful as well.

0 Likes
4 Replies
BAGAss Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: Can someone explain how to set up multiple SM 9.6x application servers to use an HWLB

there are two scalable methods
vertical (on one server)
and
horizontal (on some servers)
which one do u interesting?

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Re: Can someone explain how to set up multiple SM 9.6x application servers to use an HWLB

I am not referring to the software load balancing that is part of SM. I am referring to using a hardware load balancer to horizontally load balance the application server and support high availability.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Frequent Contributor..

Thank you. I have seen and read the documentation supplied by Micro Focus, but it does not explain where the license file resides or how it is referenced by the license manager.

If the license manager resides on a single node as in a software load balancer and that node fails, it would still be a single point of failure. Especially, since the license is locked to a single IP. If that is true, it doesn't really matter if an HWLB is used or not. One purpose of an HWLB is to have high availaibility and resiliency. Can someone explain how to obtain high availailability with SM application servers?

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.