Service Manager / Service Center User Discussions
cancel

How to change a task attributes within a change without it being started yet

Highlighted
Nahuel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

How to change a task attributes within a change without it being started yet

Hello everyone,

I need SM to let me change the various attributes that are currently only accesible when said task is opened in the phase that has been configured.

For example: I open a new change and start to define its tasks, but I can only set the description, task catefory, when it should be opened and when closed, but I cannot set the task title, the multiline description nor the assigned group. I hope I did myself clear.

Is there any way to "make visible" the mentioned fields or any way to define them when the task is being created?

I'm using SM 9.34 and PD4

Thank you!

3 REPLIES
Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: How to change a task attributes within a change without it being started yet

Those fields are set based on the Task Template you select in Task Planner. 

--add the template

--when adding tasks in task planner, assign the appropriate template to fill the description, etc. 

There is currently an enhancement request to provide a way to set the assignment group without having to put it in the template.

----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...
Nahuel Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How to change a task attributes within a change without it being started yet

Hi John, thanks for your reply!

We are going to use the template method for the standard changes.

For normal changes, this specific customer, operates first creating the tasks in the analysis phase and want to have all the data set when it is opened, and we cannot apply templates on these situtations because they are unpredictable

For example, regarding the poodle attack, we had to create a change with the tasks: modify the tomcat server.xml, check that everything is working, notify the admins

This was an unexpected and unpredictable scenario, so it is impossible to create a template for that.

Is there any other way, apart from templates, to achieve this?

Thank you!!

Absent Member.. John Stagaman Absent Member..
Absent Member..

In that case, allowing the legacy More Optins > Open New Task function to be used in the analysis phase (and setting the phase definitions to allow phase closure with open tasks for each phase up to the implementation phase) may be an alternative.

I don't know if a way to allow "ad hoc" task content when using task planner prior to the task creation and activation in its start phase--it's really designed around templates.
But you could allow ad hoc, non-task planner tasks to be added using Open New Task. Those tasks would be populated by the user,
--I dontthink task planner doesnot support defining predecessor/successor relationships with manually added tasks, so the user would need to used planned start/planned end to manage any sequencing.

An alternative would be to add a special task instructions field at the change level and either copy that field to all tasks or display it with a virtual join. That would allow the instructions to be entered at the change level and mapped to tasks generated using templates (it may be tough to keep it sufficiently user friendly).
----------------------------------------------------
Kudos - what, where, how, and why
Want Good Answers? Ask Good Questions...