Service Manager / Service Center User Discussions
cancel

How to force a mandatory update activity upon entering a particular CM phase

SOLVED
Go to solution
Absent Member.. Ulises Jorge Bi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

How to force a mandatory update activity upon entering a particular CM phase

Dear folks,

I'm working on a new workflow that has a "Hold" phase that will allow users to "park" a change ticket if they need to for some reason.  What I want to do is force the user to add an update upon entering that phase explaining the reason why this case is now on "hold".  I figure that using a format control tied to the form used in that particular phase would do the trick, so I did the following:

Validation tab:

Update: current.phase in $file="Hold" and current.phase in $file0~="Hold"

Focus: $cm.update (I also tried "1 in $cm.update")

Validation: not (null(1 in $cm.update)) or $cm.update~={""}

No luck so far.  What am I missing here?  Can I use the $cm.update variable that way in a format control?  I'm also considering defining a field used only in that phase and that can be updated every time the workflow moves into this phase (which I assume may happen more than once). 

I'll appreciate any suggestion you may provide.

Kind regards

Ulises

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.. AChandler Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..
Solution

Re: How to force a mandatory update activity upon entering a particular CM phase

Just an idea: How about the button - which now sends it into the Hold phase - kicks off a wizard instead; this wizard could request user input for the "hold reason", then plug that input into $cm.update, then perform the next phase action. That way you can get their reason up front and they can cancel the wizard if they don't have a reason.

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Solution

Re: How to force a mandatory update activity upon entering a particular CM phase

Just an idea: How about the button - which now sends it into the Hold phase - kicks off a wizard instead; this wizard could request user input for the "hold reason", then plug that input into $cm.update, then perform the next phase action. That way you can get their reason up front and they can cancel the wizard if they don't have a reason.

Absent Member..

AChandler,

I don't know what's happening with the forum, but I wrote this message yesterday and then I couldn't find it...and now it's here!  Anyway... thanks for responding.  This looks like something that could work and in fact it's how I wanted to work.  I've have not created a wizard before but this is a good moment to start.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion.

Regards,

Ulises

Absent Member..

AChandler,

The wizard solution worked beautifully.  Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Ulises

Hi Ulises, here's a quick mockup I put together of a wizard that should do what you're looking for. You may have to play around with some settings, but this would be a good starting point. :)

(Attached -->)

Oh, great - glad it worked out! :)