NOTICE: Branded Content
NOTICE: Certain versions of content (“Material”) accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.
Service Manager / Service Center User Discussions
cancel

Question about adding a new global list vs updating an existing one

SOLVED
Go to solution
Atyler68 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Question about adding a new global list vs updating an existing one

Hello Experts,

I have a quick question to ask. If I need to update a global list with all new values but I have old records with the previous values.

What would be the best option to take when doing this?

Should I create a new Global list with all of the new information?

Is there a way to add information to the old global list but only disply the new items added?

Need your help?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
 Micro Focus Expert Jas1  Micro Focus Expert
 Micro Focus Expert
Solution

Re: Question about adding a new global list vs updating an existing one

Hi Atyler,

The steps you provided is a bit confusing for me. I do not know if you are pulling the values from the table message or hardcoding them in the value and display list.

If you do not want hard coding, the best example provided out of the box is the global list called CEObjectCaptions. It get its value from the table scmessage. A bit like the table message. If you use the rad debugger and type d $G.tables.name and d $G.tables.dsp, it will display the message.id for $G.tables.name and message for $G.tables.dsp. NOTE: they will look pretty similar because if you check the query used, syslanguage=$G.my.language and class="tablename" and message.id isin $G.files, its only looking at records where class="tablename". 

If you are pulling from the table, when you right click and choose "Rebuild Global List' option, it will automatically populate the value and display lists at the bottom with all the values from the table.

I create a new GL jas1 based on that GL and it autopopulate my lists when I rebuild the gl.

4 REPLIES
 Micro Focus Expert

It depends on what you are trying to do and whether your changes will impact current system.

Global list is normally a list with a key and a full description. e.g. 1-Critical 2-Medium 3-Low.

You could reuse 1-Gold, 2-Bronze, 3-Silver. The change in the descriptive data will not affect anthing but does it still makes sense. Your priority field now says Gold instead of Critical. So depending on how your archived, current and future records will work, it will help you decide whether you want a new global list or just update the existing global list or add to it.

Atyler68 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Good morning Jas1,

Thank you for helping with this issue. So I have another question to ask. If I follow these step below I will get an error message like Message global-7 - Successful (non-compliant) Could not be found

Here are the steps made to create an addition to an existing list

1. Type "message" in the command line.
  2. Create a message for every closure code you want to add, by following this format:

Language Code: en

Class: (name of your Closure Code)

Message Number: (name of your Closure Code)

Text: (name of your Closure Code)

Click Add.

1. Then go to Global List and do the following:

List Name: Change Closure Codes 

1. Go down to Value List and add the name of the Closure code. Do the same for Display List, and SM message List.

After that, rebuild global list, save, disconnect from SM, connect again and try to close a Change. You will find your Closure code at the bottom of the list 

This is something that I tried too. I have also searched the class of cm3 and added messages with different numbers to reflect the additional numbers/description that I need. The results will leave all old records with just a number and not the description.

Micro Focus Expert
Solution

Hi Atyler,

The steps you provided is a bit confusing for me. I do not know if you are pulling the values from the table message or hardcoding them in the value and display list.

If you do not want hard coding, the best example provided out of the box is the global list called CEObjectCaptions. It get its value from the table scmessage. A bit like the table message. If you use the rad debugger and type d $G.tables.name and d $G.tables.dsp, it will display the message.id for $G.tables.name and message for $G.tables.dsp. NOTE: they will look pretty similar because if you check the query used, syslanguage=$G.my.language and class="tablename" and message.id isin $G.files, its only looking at records where class="tablename". 

If you are pulling from the table, when you right click and choose "Rebuild Global List' option, it will automatically populate the value and display lists at the bottom with all the values from the table.

I create a new GL jas1 based on that GL and it autopopulate my lists when I rebuild the gl.

Highlighted
SandyAdmin Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

If I may add. Jas1 is correct. Decide whether you will hardcode the GL(Like Change Closure codes) or let it pull from a table (like the Assignment group).
From your example: GL> Change Closure Codes is HARDcoded; Value list is having Numbers(1,2,3...) and Display List is having(1-Successful, 2 - Failed..etch...). If you add another value.. say last number in list is 10. Your list now is having 11 (....9, 10, 11), consequently you will also add from the display list the equivalent value of List "11" say you want the new Closure code to be "11 - Non-Compliant". Rebuild and you will be good. FYI, we have added, modified this list on our environment many times. This is hardcoding of GL, Check Jas1 point if you want to pull from the table.