Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Storage Essentials Practitioners Forum
cancel

Storage Essentials windows host detection

TareQ Geme'e
Contributor.

Storage Essentials windows host detection

I have installed Storage Essentials 5.0 oveer windows 2003 + SP1 and I am working in MS Domain environment.

It's working fine and detect the MSA, EVA and SAN Switches 1,2 and the new 4GB switches as well.

The probelm is I can't detect my Windows hosts, I have installed CIM Extensions over my servers, restart the servers and they still not detected.

I successfully detect the HPUX machines after CIM Extensions installtion. and I also can detect the SIM+SE server it self.

What should I do to be able to detect the other Windows servers.

Note:
My I have run hbatest tool over my servers and it reports that my HBA are supported.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Storage Essentials Support and News Forum.- Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor.

Re: Storage Essentials windows host detection

Hi TareQ,

Check followings to ensure communication between SE server and windows hosts is OK.

1. Discovery Credentials refers to a domain
i.e. DOMAIN\USER
2. Windows WMI service is running.
3. DNS forward and reverse lookup is working
4. Firewall is not blocking ports
(135 and some random ports ) used
for communication.
TareQ Geme'e
Contributor.

Hi TareQ,

Check followings to ensure communication between SE server and windows hosts is OK.

i.e. DOMAIN\USER
4. Firewall is not blocking ports
(135 and some random ports ) used
for communication.

Hi Sameer,

Thanks for reply,

i.e. DOMAIN\USER
-- Where can i specify the discovery credentials ??

-- It's up and running on both of servers (SIM/SE and managed hosts).

-- woking fine

4. Firewall is not blocking ports (135 and some random ports ) used for communication.
-- Actually this is a lab environment, so i don't use firewall to simplify the setup.

any more tips???

BG, TareQ
Stephen Kebbell
Super Contributor.

Hi,

if you are using SE's discovery, then you can specify a default username and password, or one for each host (in Discovery -> Setup). I think the Domain account needs to have local admin rights on each Windows host.
But if you have HPSIM and SE then you need to specify the credentials in SIM: Options > Protocol Settings > Global Protocol Settings (or System Protocol Settings for individual systems). It's all described in the Installation Guide for Storage Essentials.

Regards,
Stephen