Maintenance is complete- We've moved from the saas.hpe.com domain to softwaregrp.com click to read more
As part of our journey to complete our separation work and our future integration with Micro Focus, we've now updated our domain for the community. This is an interim step, which will be followed by a series of future update / improvements: - Piloting Idea boards - Refreshing the entire UI. (more to come later) - and more
Systems Management (OpenView-OP Mgmt) Practitioners Forum
cancel

Log file monitoring in HPOMW

Highlighted
Malli
Frequent Contributor.

Log file monitoring in HPOMW

Hello,

I want to monitor a log file in HPOMW. Query is running on oracle server(hosted on AIX machine) which create a log file on oracle server with some count. Alert should trigger if count exceeds 100

How to configure this.. pls help me in detail

Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES
nicnictout
Outstanding Contributor.

Re: Log file monitoring in HPOMW

Hello,

i'm not absolutly sure to understand what your logfile contains.

Can you give us an example please to confirm?

In any case, if you have to monitor a pattern like "count: xxxx" simply use in policy conditions something like that:

count: <<#> -gt 100>

Or

count: <3#>

First case, you give the counter to not exceed, the second one is based on integer length, if il greater than 99 (so 3 digit), then you match the condition and raise an alarm.

As you did not give example you may have to adapt this regex for matching exactly your string.

Malli
Frequent Contributor.

Hello,

some script is running on oracle server which is hosted on AIX machine. script will create a log file for every 30 mins with same name abc.log everytime , script will log below output in log file abc.log

incoming server: 10.10.10.100 current count : 100

incoming server: 10.10.10.101 current count : 98

incoming server: 10.10.10.102 current count : 245

incoming server: 10.10.10.103 current count : 10

Alert should trigger if current count increases more than 300 on any of the given 4 servers.

How to configure this in OMW or sitescope ?

Thanks in advance

nicnictout
Outstanding Contributor.

Ok,

so let's start, i do not have a OMW to make screenshot but you should find following these steps:

1) in condition tab:

under Match Text panel, enter this: incoming server: <*.server> current count : <<#> -gt 100>

Note: this will put the server IP in a variable that you can use latter when formatting your message to OM console

Carefull, if there are several lines in the same logfile, you may want to create an alarm for every threshold exceeded, in this case there is a tick box in OMW to generate an alarm for each line matched (i do not remember the name but description is clear enough in policy wizzard to find it)

2) In message tab:

fill all information for criticity/application etc etc...

In Message Text, format your message as you want, you can use the previous variable created <server> to display the IP where counter has exceeded.

Note: variable are defined by this way <*.varname> and called this way <varname>